Columbus Club began ten years ago with a Reading Academy teaching children reading classes and running weekly book clubs for primary school students.
September 2021 will see us provide weekly online book club for children in each of these age groups: five year old students, six year old students, seven year old students, eight year old students and students from nine to twelve years of age.
We have a library of children’s books which we will select books from. We have also published some picture books for children here at Columbus Club.
We will complete a file each month listing the books that we have read and discussed for each age group. The Book Clubs genuinely enhance children’s ability to express their views confidently and to use a broader range of vocabulary as well as gaining an insight into different themes and genres.
- We choose 4 books per month.
- Each week we read and discuss one book.
- We examine the characters, the plot, the illustrations, the emotions conveyed in the story and the ending.
- We ask you to write a book review each week.
- Students are asked to submit a book review and one student is chosen for a prize for Review of the Month.